The use of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts

Brian Schmidt, M. A. Pogrel

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Purpose: This study evaluated the use of enucleation and cryosurgery in the management of odontogenic keratocysts. Patients and Methods: This study involved a retrospective review of 26 patients. All of the patients received a combination of enucleation and cryosurgery. Postoperative follow-up consisted of clinical and radiographic examinations. Results: Before enucleation and cryotherapy, 22 of the 26 patients had received previous treatment consisting of enucleation alone. The average time from initial treatment to recurrence was 6.2 years. Twenty-three cases occurred in the mandible, 22 in the posterior (proximal to the canine), and 1 in the anterior mandible. Three cases involved the maxilla. Three of the 26 patients (11.5%) developed a recurrence after treatment. The average time from treatment to recurrence in these 3 patients was 1.6 years (range, 1.2 to 1.9 years). The remaining 23 patients (88.5%) had no evidence of clinical or radiographic recurrence. The average time of follow-up was 3.5 years (range, 2.0 to 10.0 years). Conclusions: Based on these results, the combination of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy may offer patients improved therapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)720-725
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Volume59
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - 2001

Fingerprint

Odontogenic Cysts
Cryotherapy
Nitrogen
Recurrence
Cryosurgery
Mandible
Therapeutics
Maxilla
Canidae

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dentistry(all)
  • Surgery

Cite this

The use of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts. / Schmidt, Brian; Pogrel, M. A.

In: Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2001, p. 720-725.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{88ce1e4aafd1414ea97fc58301906a58,
title = "The use of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts",
abstract = "Purpose: This study evaluated the use of enucleation and cryosurgery in the management of odontogenic keratocysts. Patients and Methods: This study involved a retrospective review of 26 patients. All of the patients received a combination of enucleation and cryosurgery. Postoperative follow-up consisted of clinical and radiographic examinations. Results: Before enucleation and cryotherapy, 22 of the 26 patients had received previous treatment consisting of enucleation alone. The average time from initial treatment to recurrence was 6.2 years. Twenty-three cases occurred in the mandible, 22 in the posterior (proximal to the canine), and 1 in the anterior mandible. Three cases involved the maxilla. Three of the 26 patients (11.5{\%}) developed a recurrence after treatment. The average time from treatment to recurrence in these 3 patients was 1.6 years (range, 1.2 to 1.9 years). The remaining 23 patients (88.5{\%}) had no evidence of clinical or radiographic recurrence. The average time of follow-up was 3.5 years (range, 2.0 to 10.0 years). Conclusions: Based on these results, the combination of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy may offer patients improved therapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts.",
author = "Brian Schmidt and Pogrel, {M. A.}",
year = "2001",
doi = "10.1053/joms.2001.24278",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "59",
pages = "720--725",
journal = "Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery",
issn = "0278-2391",
publisher = "W.B. Saunders Ltd",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The use of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts

AU - Schmidt, Brian

AU - Pogrel, M. A.

PY - 2001

Y1 - 2001

N2 - Purpose: This study evaluated the use of enucleation and cryosurgery in the management of odontogenic keratocysts. Patients and Methods: This study involved a retrospective review of 26 patients. All of the patients received a combination of enucleation and cryosurgery. Postoperative follow-up consisted of clinical and radiographic examinations. Results: Before enucleation and cryotherapy, 22 of the 26 patients had received previous treatment consisting of enucleation alone. The average time from initial treatment to recurrence was 6.2 years. Twenty-three cases occurred in the mandible, 22 in the posterior (proximal to the canine), and 1 in the anterior mandible. Three cases involved the maxilla. Three of the 26 patients (11.5%) developed a recurrence after treatment. The average time from treatment to recurrence in these 3 patients was 1.6 years (range, 1.2 to 1.9 years). The remaining 23 patients (88.5%) had no evidence of clinical or radiographic recurrence. The average time of follow-up was 3.5 years (range, 2.0 to 10.0 years). Conclusions: Based on these results, the combination of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy may offer patients improved therapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts.

AB - Purpose: This study evaluated the use of enucleation and cryosurgery in the management of odontogenic keratocysts. Patients and Methods: This study involved a retrospective review of 26 patients. All of the patients received a combination of enucleation and cryosurgery. Postoperative follow-up consisted of clinical and radiographic examinations. Results: Before enucleation and cryotherapy, 22 of the 26 patients had received previous treatment consisting of enucleation alone. The average time from initial treatment to recurrence was 6.2 years. Twenty-three cases occurred in the mandible, 22 in the posterior (proximal to the canine), and 1 in the anterior mandible. Three cases involved the maxilla. Three of the 26 patients (11.5%) developed a recurrence after treatment. The average time from treatment to recurrence in these 3 patients was 1.6 years (range, 1.2 to 1.9 years). The remaining 23 patients (88.5%) had no evidence of clinical or radiographic recurrence. The average time of follow-up was 3.5 years (range, 2.0 to 10.0 years). Conclusions: Based on these results, the combination of enucleation and liquid nitrogen cryotherapy may offer patients improved therapy in the management of odontogenic keratocysts.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0034961361&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0034961361&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1053/joms.2001.24278

DO - 10.1053/joms.2001.24278

M3 - Article

C2 - 11429726

AN - SCOPUS:0034961361

VL - 59

SP - 720

EP - 725

JO - Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

JF - Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

SN - 0278-2391

IS - 7

ER -